8 April 2012

World Catwalk: Destination Milano


Sitting on the train from Malpensa airport, bound for Stazione Cadorna, I psyched myself up for a very fashion-focused day of trend-spotting in one of the style capitals of the world. We always hear the hype about London, Paris, Milan, New York… so I really was expecting the ladies of this beautiful city to blow me away with their Monica Bellucci-esque Italian glamour.
Perhaps it was to do with it being an overcast Thursday which started with drizzle and dullness, or maybe it was due to the fact I was on the hunt for stylish folks too early in the afternoon, but there was a distinct lack of glam, and an abundance of casual converse! My Monica Bellucci had turned into Avril Lavigne.

I decided I needed to see more of Milan’s unique street style. And so I walked. I walked through the small back streets and office areas, strolled past cafés queued out the door at lunchtime, meandered around the tourist-thronged Duomo, and into the shopping areas past boutiques stuffed full of beautiful clothes and wonderful, wonderful shoes. All the while, scanning for this stereotypical chic, Italian style.
Given first impressions only, the Milanese young ladies (by that I mean aged roughly from 20 – 30), are working a college-girl-y style as opposed to the glamour and opulence I was predicting. That’s not to say it isn’t beautiful. It is. Just in a much more understated, uncalculated way, which is actually refreshing.
Bold eyebrows and kohl pencil-rimmed eyes hide behind statement glasses (a very common thread), and lipstick is hurried and matte. Skinny jeans and converse / biker boots are everywhere, and worn with everything from t-shirts to smart blazers. And scarves – how they love scarves! Especially big ones, draped in a so-cool,’ I just threw this on as I was walking out the door’ style.
Dare I say it, but it is in fact their older and male counterparts who are working the Italian luxe look.  It’s quite rare to see quite so many men, and older women dressed so consistently well. The older women are all trench coats, glamorous hairdos and tailored trousers, and the men are, by far, the best dressed men I’ve ever seen, in any city. Beautiful coats, eye-catching shoes, gorgeous bags – all on men! *confused Dolly*

The two beauties I chose for today’s World Catwalk post, are quite different in their style.
The first, is a look that I would like to think I would wear, but I doubt I’d pull it off quite like this lovely lady. I don’t know which I like more – her amazing hair, or her cool clothes combination. I do know that I LOVE that scarf.



The second is a look that stood out simply as being unique and personalised, I didn’t see anything else quite like this. The punky Doc Martins countered with the high school hair band, and the pepped up, brightly striped sweater adding a little injection of colour to an otherwise muted style. And she worked the shaved hair look wayyy cuter than Rihanna - more Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta.



I’ll say one thing for the femmes of Milan. And it’s something I rather like.
No matter what they wear, and even if the entire ensemble isn’t exactly your cup of cappuccino, there is almost always one item which will catch your eye. Be it a quality leather bag, stylish scarf, pretty shoes, fabulous glasses, or a chic coat… you can always glimpse the spirit of the Italian style. Bellissimo!

Love from Dolly alla moda x

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...