15 April 2012

World Catwalk: Destination Moscow


Let me ask you, what springs to mind when you hear the words "Russian” and “fashion"?
For me, it's all giant fur hats, military boots and overbearing overcoats. Well, given their climate, that's not an unreasonable guess, is it?
When it comes to the men of Moscow, my ideas are pretty much spot on, but their overcoats aren't so much overbearing as they are snugly fitting and apparently comfortable.
For the ladies however, my guess really couldn't be further from the mark. Allow me to recall my encounter with style a la Moscow...


I've visited this superb city many times, and in all of the different seasons. From New Year's Eve and frosty February through to the start of spring (think late March, early April) and even their so-called summertime too.
My most recent trip exposed me to temperatures of -1 and, coupled with strong winds, this felt even colder. Despite the unfriendly chill, I wrapped up and took a walk, as I always like to, from our hotel near Olimpiyski Prospekt down into the Red Square and along by the Moskva (Moscow) River that twists darkly through the city.

The atmospheric Moskva River


Walking through the streets, I observed something of a uniform amongst Moscow's young women with the following items in high demand... Knee-high boots with heels so high your head will twist to look twice, tights, a short skirt and a (VERY stylish) coat, nipped in at the waist with a belt. Scarf /hat / gloves – optional (yes, regardless of the temperature!).
It was sunny despite the freezing temperatures so I also had the opportunity to admire the array of designer sunglasses on display. These ladies like big sunnies as much as they like big heels (read, a LOT).

I also noticed a (fairly understandable) wealth of fur. Real or fake, I don’t know – ask Ashley Olsen, I’m no expert – but heck, do they know how to wear it! If I wear fur, I feel like I’ve been timewarped
into my grandma’s wardrobe circa 1940, mothballs and all, but here it’s a question of fur or freeze-your-toosh-off. So they’ve cultivated a style that is less grandma and much more glamorous. Fur trim decorates hoods, cuffs, collars, boots, pretty much any item of clothing you might care to name. And it looks cute! Prettily made up faces and admirably slim figures help pull it off along with some nice accessorising. I was tres impressed with how well put together they were despite the drab weather and frost-bite favouring temperatures.
 
Wedding photos by the Kremlin... as you do.

 
Today’s World Catwalk street style choices are two very different examples of looking stylish subzero.

First up is Kat (Ekaterina), whose every item of clothing made me want to go shopping. I adore the green glasses which were the first thing that caught my eye, and I would guess the fur jacket is a go-to item in any self-respecting Moscow girl’s closet. I’ve also now added a checked shirt to my list of ‘Want, Therefore Must Have’ items. Nice choices!

Checks in the city...


Outfit number two, conjured up by Elizabet, harks back to the 30s / 40s with her little felt cloche hat and lace-up boots. Her style inspires the idea that even though your weather might not be pretty every day, your skirt can be and even though I might have switched the jacket for a brighter colour block alternative, I feel it suits Elizabet exactly as is. Cute, cute, cute.
 
I heart your hat, and your red nails!


My take on Russian style -
minus the high heels!

A quote from the ever-stylish Donna Karan seems to fit nicely with the street style of Moscow...
"Design is a constant challenge to balance comfort with luxe, the practical with the desirable."

It remains to be said that these ladies have an eye for good design, as they successfully navigate some of the world's most trying weather conditions with luxe style that is totally desirable and somehow practical all in one. Hats off (but quickly on again - damn it's cold) to the Russian style squad.

Love from Russian Dolly x


 

3 comments:

  1. I love how you featured Moscow style! Even though I'm from Russia myself, I would never do such a great job in describing Moscow street-style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you soo much Maria! I couldn't go to Moscow and not take some pictures - the girls in Russia really are some of the most stylish in the world and it's a great opportunity to get out there and see it with my job! :)
      Good luck with your book!
      Nadia
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10.6.12

    I think ur blog is just jubilee!!!! :))) darling :)

    ReplyDelete

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...