13 August 2012

World Catwalk: Destination Bangkok

Despite Bangkok regularly cropping up on my schedule, it has taken me several months to gear myself up for a ‘World Catwalk Bangkok’. Partly due to the fact that when I imagine explaining my little blog to anyone whose English isn’t close to perfect, I give myself a migraine, and also partly (read mostly) because most of my time there is spent on a massage couch.

This time I ‘sacrificed’ some of my massage time and went sightseeing - shock!
I took in the little streets that line the higgledy-piggledy edges of the Chao Phraya river, hopped on a boat to take a short cruise and marvelled at the beauty and shimmering detail involved in The Grand Palace. I had a fabulous day exploring the well-tromped tourist trail.

Not only did I exhaust my poor camera with all the wonderful sights en route, but I also had the chance to catch some very stylish daytrippers. I can’t really judge the style of the Bangkok fashion pack from this kind of outing so in future I will try to make it to Siam Square (apparently the place to be for fashionable-people-spotting) and report back on my observations...
In the meantime, these three street styles stood out in the crowded capital.

First on my camera roll was the beautifully chic, perfectly put-together Praewpilin who was taking a walk with her man. And to be honest I can’t think of a better outfit for a day soaking up Bangkok’s history and culture with your other half.
By choosing a simple white tee, Praewpilin starts with a blank canvas for her striped ankle-skimmimg flares and sleek grey bag. Minimal accessories allow shiny hair to take centre stage and she’s even achieved the unachievable – a panama hat that doesn’t look try-hard. Perfection!


The next stylish street walker to cross my radar was the delightful Guo Junyao from China.
Not only had she co-ordinated with the sky on her outfit with her bright blue trousers and floaty white top, but she’d also added some class to her outfit with a chunky gold, square face watch and a bag that makes me want to buy up Beijing on my next trip. I love the understated feel of this outfit, it’s modest, yet cool, sleek yet modern and the shapes involved are clever. Square-cut top, circular detail on the waist band, and triangle thong sandals… very nice!


Next is Ainur from Kazakhstan whose elegant summery ensemble made me cringe at my own untidy jeans and t-shirt arrangement. The salmon skirt works perfectly with her bronze skin and she explained to me that the blue shirt was not actually part of the original outfit. As we were entering a Buddhist temple, Ainur had been asked to cover her shoulders, so was offered this blue shirt from the locals. In my opinion, it takes someone with real style to be able to transform unlikely Asian menswear into this borrowed-my-brother’s-shirt-and-made-it-look-amazing style.
I love when street style comes with a wee story ;)
P.S. Ainur, your watch/bangles/earrings/bag/sandals, (okay, everything) are just gorgeous!



And, just to set the scene, here are a few snaps from my day out! Hope you like them!

Posing...? Moi?!


Some of the details in the buildings reminded me of Park Guell in Barcelona... amazing detail!

That chain has got to be annoying...

Now that's what I call accessorizing!

Have any of you been to Thailand? Travelling there now? I’d love to check out your holiday snaps and stories!

Love from Thai Dolly x

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...