29 June 2012

What's In My Bag?

Summer is here!
In Scotland, you never really come to terms with having no summer. It’s one of our seasons, we are supposed to have a summer, so where on earth is it?! We flock in our thousands to Spain, Greece, Turkey, Thailand, Australia… (read: anywhere without torrential rain) every year, just to get a dose of sunshine and return home smug, showing off how much browner we are than when we left.
And when we are lucky enough to experience the rarest (but most beautiful) sunshine, you will see everyone and their grandma marching out in shorts and sandals, exclaiming that this is the first time they’ve had the chance to wear anything less than a duffle coat this year. If you’re Scottish, I’m sure you’ll know what I’m talking about…
Can you spot the Burj in the background?
Here in Dubai, this is clearly not an issue. In fact, the endless supply of sunshine was one of the factors which convinced me to move. I love the fact that every day starts with a positive, bright, and er, sunny, vibe. It’s that air of holidays, freedom and no-work (even though you’re not on holiday and you’ve got to be at work by 8) that sunshine inspires in me. I love it. I love summer. And that’s one of the reasons I love Dubai.

It also means that every day I can ask myself, “pool today Nadia?”
Today I said, “yes”.

And so I thought I’d reveal what’s in my pool bag today :)



(Starting from bottom left, working clockwise...)
Flipflops, Havaiianas - First recommended to me by my dear friend Pam, these are without hesitation THE most comfortable flipflops I’ve ever bought, and quite possibly the most hardwearing. In the UAE, you can find them all over the place, but I love the selection in Hamac stores, I’m always perusing the Festival City branch - click HERE for details.
Caudalie Soleil Divin SPF 20 (for days when I’m trying to be good, and actually use sun protection)
Water and Blackberry (in Dubai, I still haven't figured out which is more essential to life)

Sunnies, Roberto Cavalli

Cheap, fun jewellery that I don’t mind getting trashed by chlorine/sun

iPad – one of my desert-island essentials

Shu Uemura Beige UV Under Base Mousse SPF 30 – I know I know, it’s a makeup base, but I like the fact it’s non-greasy and evens out my skin tone. Plus, I don’t really go diving into the water, so it stays on perfectly!

Frederic Fekkai Marine Leave-in Conditioner – I love to spray this in whilst I bake myself in the sun, it smells amazing, and I tell myself the heat helps this get to work. It’s an older product from their summer range and it’s lasted so well. I believe there is a lovely new mask in the new summer range which you can find in Sephora stores in Dubai, or if you’re in the UK, this item is available HERE.

Hawaiian Tropic Coconut Tanning Oil and Caribbean Breeze Dark Tanning Dry Oil – neither have any SPF so they are my go-to tanning essentials if I only want to sit out for an hour in the late afternoon. And they smell like heaven and holidays all rolled into one.
Hawaiian Tropic Mango & Papaya Lip Gloss SPF 25 – extremely shiny, orange gloss. Theory: wear with sunglasses; create illusion of poolside glamour. Shazam.
And finally, my notepad – I hate to be anywhere without one!

My es-sun-tials... sorry... that's my old magazine background kicking in.

And while I’m in let's-hit-the-pool mode, I cannot recommend the Ikea HALLO sun lounger mat highly enough! Previously, I had to refrain from throwing our hideous plastic sunloungers over the side of my apartment block due to the fact that whoever designed them, clearly did NOT have comfort in mind. Then I discovered this wonder-product, and I can now enjoy the sun, without returning to my apartment crippled. Yippee!

I'd love it if you'd like to share your summer / pool essentials! What do you take with you on holiday?

Hope you're all having an equally sunny day, wherever you are around the world!
Love from summer Dolly x

3 comments:

  1. Jubilee9.7.12

    thats exactly what we need for the magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in Scotland, I know exactly what you're talking about! I have also done a post on my holiday musts - check it out!
    http://style-eyes-jennifer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/my-holiday-musts.html

    Jennifer xxx

    http://style-eyes-jennifer.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer!
      I enjoyed your pre-holiday post, even though I'm about four months too late... here it's always summer though so no fear! It's lovely to hear from other Scottish girls out there, and sorry for rubbing it in with all my talk of sun. Hope you enjoyed Tenerife and thanks for getting in touch! :) xxx

      Delete

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...