21 February 2013

World Catwalk: Destination Sao Paulo, Brasil


It was my first time in Sao Paulo, first time in Brasil and first time in South America altogether, so last week I was supremely excited to get myself out of bed, and into a brand new city to explore.
As with most first-time destinations, my ideas of Brasil were clouded with stereotypes. From music videos, magazines and the like, you get the idea that the girls are going to be beautiful, and the people are going to be dancing on the street wearing green, yellow and blue. From newspapers and movies, you imagine that on every turn your life will transform into a Denzel Washington ‘Man on Fire’-style kidnap thriller. 
In an interview regarding Sao Paulo, artist Tracey Emin recently said of the city’s crime-rate issues, “you can’t wear a f*&king watch”. And I’d have to agree. I mean, I literally had to scope the place out every time I wanted to whip out my camera for a quick shot. I deliberately dressed down and my mobile phone stayed out of sight for the entire trip having been pre-warned of venturing alone by hotel staff, crew, locals… so, pretty much everyone then.
The constant apprehension of one’s own safety somewhat tarnishes what is an otherwise pleasant place with people who seem to hold no airs and graces, and who are refreshingly down-to-earth compared to Dubai.
Getting into town involved a train/metro connection and then I was slap-bang in the middle of Republica (pronounced Hepublica, apparently). I found myself mixing with market shoppers, rasta-style Marley fans and tons of post-high-school types discovering themselves with the help of too much sun and Cachaça.

Whilst doing what sightseeing I could, I tried to soak up some of the atmosphere and style of the city, without looking like a complete tourist. The half Lebanese-half Scottish mix helps but my hilarious attempts at Portuguese might have betrayed my true identity – “tudo bem!”

The somehow continental feel of the streets was splashed with sticky sun and old/new architecture combines the city’s history alongside its recent developments. A Miami-like palm-lined approach leads to the Sao Paulo Cathedral Sé Metropolitana. It stands majestically in front of a square filled with a cocktail of cultures and calamities; beggars, Brasilians and tourists alike flock to say their prayers.
I scanned said square, hoping to find some blogworthy street style a la Sao Paulo, but I found myself struggling somewhat. There was way too much lycra, lots of 90s throwback tributees and too-tight t-shirts were pressing their way around too many tanned Paulistas. Colour was everywhere, but not in that cool I'm-a-hot-blooded-Latino way I was hoping for. It was more of a brightest-thing-in-my-wardrobe-caught-my-eye-this-morning look.
Despite my slight disappointment, I kept a lookout for any surprises that might just be waiting to feature in The Trolley Dolly’s World Catwalk… and then I bumped into Sabrina with her lovely friend Rodrigo (pronounced Hodrigo) and with the help of Rodrigo’s translation, I got to know that there definitely is some street style in Sao Paulo, but of course I was in the wrong area for it. Oh well, there’s always next time.

Sabrina’s outfit caught my eye with its accessorised simplicity. In contrast with the world’s recent fashion weeks, I love her ready-to-wear realness – printed tee tucked into a belted maxi skirt. It’s a look I really should work harder to pull off as it’s perfect for Dubai. Add to that bright red nails, lots of eyeliner and quirky accessories. Don’t you just love it? I do.



In the same square (praça), Patricia and friend / helpful-translator Leandro were doing some sightseeing, just like me. The only difference? Patricia was looking a lot more stylish in the process. There I was in my ‘must-dress-down’ Primark plimsolls and Patricia working a classy colour match. Deep red and floral grey stood out against the stony walls of the Sao Paulo Cathedral Sé and cemented my idea that maxi skirts are a must-try. I love how ladylike both Patricia and Sabrina look in theirs… now to find myself one! 

Bravo ladies – linda maravilhosa!
Love from Brazilian Dolly x 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous25.3.13

    Nadia, my new friend!!! I just love the post, everyone in my facebook liked ur blog :D I just love the blog, the photos and what u write... Rodrigo helped me here hahaha see u

    ReplyDelete

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...