15 January 2013

Afternoon Tea in The Burj…


When Mum comes to visit, I like to show her Dubai at its best. When you live in a place, all too often the shine fades and every once in a while, when a visitor presents the opportunity, it’s nice to put on those rose-tinted oversize glasses. To return to the glamour that first sparked a love affair with the place when I arrived. And to whole-heartedly embrace the frivolity and over-indulgent luxury that is one of the world’s newest super-cities.

I can think of no better way of doing so than treating Mum to a glorious seven course afternoon tea, in the world's most famous seven star hotel. The Burj Al Arab.


Seven star hotel, seven course afternoon tea… I suppose it makes sense. But in reality, I found my eyes were (as ever) bigger than my stomach.
Never fear, I won’t bore you with mind-numbing details of all seven courses in a food-envy-inducing frenzy, but I will tell you why this really was an afternoon to remember.

Chocolate tea. Uh-huh.
Mother’s concern at my four sugars per cuppa somehow manifested itself in my order as I chose a tea from the BaA’s drool-worthy tea menu. Chocolate tea doesn’t need sugar. In fact, it doesn’t need any cake, biscuit, or even – shock – afternoon tea. It's so smooth and tasty I’d make an appointment at the hotel just to come and drink it. Yep, it’s bespoke, specially-made-for-the-Burj Chocolate tea.
Tastes like tea. Tastes like chocolate. In other words, the most perfect creation I’ve come to discover.


Mini mash
Personally, I wasn’t aware that a hunk of beef and a mini mound of mash were part of the average afternoon tea repertoire, but nevertheless… out came a baby-sized portion of Sunday roast. De to the licious. And so damn cute.

Fizzy date & grape juice
A yummy and Arabic alternative to Champagne for fellow tea-totallers (sorry, couldn’t resist) out there.



Rose petal crisp
And lychee sorbet. What a palate cleanser. Mmmmhmmm.


Mother-daughter time (the best bit)…
With views of the world’s tallest atrium, white sand, Jumeirah, and a man wearing a traditional dish-dash paddling a canoe. 
We did have fun. Despite the unusually cloudy weather during the day, we watched the place transform as glittering, colourful lights flood the Burj Al Arab at night.

Hermès in the ‘hamam’…
Making Molton Brown look so 5 star, the Burj stocks its bathrooms with Hermès hand lotions. Mum emerged with softer hands, but claiming my Bath & Body Works cheapo shea butter version smells better!

Truly a lovely afternoon tea experience, and on Mum's next visit, purely for research purposes of course, I must book the two of us into At.mosphere (the highest restaurant in the world, in Burj Khalifa) to see which Burj is best! Hey, who needs an excuse for some afternoon extravagance?!

P.S. If anyone knows where I can get myself some chocolate tea, do drop me a line…

Love from seven star Dolly x

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous22.1.13

    That looks so nice! I love reading your blog - keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...