3 January 2013

World Catwalk: Sydney Jan 2013


I’ve learned so much from my constant travelling in all the corners of the world. I’ve seen so many beautiful sights, I know my way around the major airports with my eyes shut, I can (usually) find a yummy meal wherever I land, and I can say hello and thank you in over 15 languages.
But of all the lessons learned, possibly the most valuable is realising my self-confidence is the most important travel companion I could ever take with me.
I find this particularly true when I set off along the city streets in search of stylish ladies for The Trolley Dolly’s World Catwalk street style feature. Without my self-confidence, I would falter at the thought of approaching the tres fashionable, explaining my little blogging project and taking pictures in the middle of busy streets in some of the world’s biggest cities.
As I stomped Sydney’s sidewalks in the baking Aussie sun, I felt that self-confidence replaced by an irritating nervousness that sometimes creeps up on me. Enter my silly fear of chatting to people I don't know and the shyness I feel asking to take their picture for a blog called The Trolley Dolly.
But, like a passing cloud of smoke, I wafted the apprehension away, replaced it with a somewhat forced self-confidence and carried on regardless.
I’m so glad I did, as I went on to meet three of the nicest and friendliest of my World Catwalkers.
First of all I spotted sisters Amanda and Carol from Brazil. The two put me to shame in their bright, summery outfits (compared to my black trouser/white vest/black All Stars combo).
I became a denim shirt convert after spying Amanda’s clever layering trick and if I thought I could pull off a little tropical jumpsuit, I would be considering that too!
Love the sparkly shoes!

Her sis Carol’s simple white dress and plimsolls looked amazing with her tan – I think lighter clothes and bleached denim look beautifully summery with golden bronze skin and I’m in love with that hairstyle of hers! If I dared to cut mine short, I’d hope it looked as good as Carol’s…
Such a cute, quirky bag :)



After a walk in the Botanical Gardens, so conveniently located alongside Sydney’s downtown shopping area, I spotted Jessica, a photo buff from Paris. She told me she’s new to Sydney but I’m sure she’ll go down a storm with the Aussies in her denim and biker-beach chic. I loved the mix-up of different trends and Jessica’s very modest reaction to my photographing her outfit. Sweet.


As I returned to my hotel room, ready to rest before the 14 hour flying marathon back to Dubai, I felt a sense of satisfaction, having overcome the lurking doubt which shadowed me for a while. I'm glad I listened to the little voice that said “what’s stopping you?” and I’m so happy to continue into the New Year with The Trolley Dolly! 
Let’s hope this year is even brighter than the last!

Love from confident Dolly x

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...