29 August 2014

24 Hours in Warsaw - And An Inglot Makeup Haul!

War is the darkest of thieves. It leaves behind a path of loss, despair, resentment and destruction.
Being a city that has seen more than its fair share of the aforementioned, one might expect and understand Warsaw to be bitter, grey and resentful. But despite its tremendous losses sustained in the World Wars, this city is a beautiful bubble of hope, light and colour.
By the end of World War 2, 85% of the city had been destroyed in targeted attacks by Nazi Germany. 
I think it’s difficult, if not impossible, to imagine your city with only 15% of it left intact.


This picture shows the same location in 1938 and again in 1945.

Post-war, difficult decisions were made as to how to rebuild the city, and the Medieval old town area reconstructed almost entirely on their original plans. The rest of the city was built with a newer, Soviet-influenced design.
Walking around the new Warsaw, one of the latest destinations on our flying network, it seems to be an ambitious city, buzzing with energy, education and prospect. You get the feeling the place is breathing, the people want more and many businesses are investing in what is a bright, emerging market. 
I can't imagine the city as it was post-war. On this day I see open-air galleries, crowds of stylish young professionals, concept cafes, and street artists entertaining on the cobbled walkways.

As I wandered the sights in a somewhat sleep-deprived daze, I did think it would make a beautiful backdrop to some dreamy retro fashion shoot. I’ve posted a few of my favourite places here…


The Uprising Memorial: a beautifully sad tribute to brave citizens.




A lunch stop in 'Polish Kitchen' with pink lemonade. 


Could you actually say no to Pierogi (traditional Polish pastry parcels) stuffed with soft, melting mozzarella, spinach and cherry tomatoes?




The rebuilt house facades in  Old Town Square, in the pictures above, echo the colourful old Warsaw character.
The Old Town is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.




Cobbled streets, horse-drawn carriages and picture-perfect townhouses, Warsaw is the stuff of fairytales.






On my way back to the hotel, my sleepy eyes happened upon an Inglot boutique. For those of you unfamiliar with the Polish beauty brand, they are well known in the cosmetic industry for their cute palettes, eye shadows with amazing colour pay-off and their very reasonable prices. In Poland, those reasonable prices are even more incredible and you can really pick yourself up a bargain. I decided to get a few bits at the airport where crew also get a lovely 10 – 20% discount. I ordered in advance, so my little bag of goodies was ready to collect on our way to the gate. I paid approximately £50 ($85) for two Face and Body Illuminators, one Under Makeup Base, and a Freedom System Palette with 10 eye shadows (I chose the individual colours). Amazeballs.
If any of my fellow crew wondered why I was in such a fabulous mood on the return flight, then this would be the reason.  
Here’s my little collection. And a couple of swatches. If you like Inglot as much as me, please share your favourite products. I plan to go back to Poland and buy moooore!


  
From left to right:
Bronze illuminator (amazing mixed with any body lotion); silver illuminator (can be placed under foundation to fake dewy skin); and four of my favourite shadows from the palette.

Hope you've enjoyed my little trip to Poland!

Love from Dolly x

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...