31 May 2012

World Catwalk - Scotland Special!


This time, World Catwalk has taken a trip to Scotland… one of my two homes (the other being Beirut) and a place of many different looks.

I figured it would be a fun experiment to chronicle Scottish style through my stylish friends.
Generally speaking, I love and I loathe Scottish (and British) style in equal measure as we can get it so right, and then round the next corner, so wrong.
I know that can be said for any nation. But what I’m talking about isn’t the no-clue-no-care getting it wrong, but in fact the trying-so-hard-to-get-it-right-I-got-it-wrong, getting it wrong.

Did that make any sense?
Well, it did to me.

I am not, nor have ever claimed to be, a stylist or fashion knowitall. I do, however, realise my own sense of ‘cringe’ upon seeing a nice pair of shorts teamed with the wrong tights/sandals/sequins combination (in the middle of the pouring rain no less), or a horribly neon tracksuit with equally horrible matching neon trainers/headband/handbag look (seen it). In all fairness, I am also the first to point to the stylish girl on the other side of the street and say how brilliantly put-together her outfit is, or how cute her boots are (more often than not). I think I am developing a rather if not altogether unhealthy obsession with other people’s boots. Hey ho.

The average Scottish girl’s style is, dare I say it, largely magazine fed, celebrity-inspired, cunningly created on the high street with online shopping buys adding a little individualist flare to each outfit. From the hair to the nails, to the enterprising use of leggings, these girls read magazines and they know how to work a bit of Vivienne Westwood into their H&M/Urban Outfitters collab. Glasgow is also clearly home to the world’s largest collection of painfully-cool Korean, Chinese and Japanese students, who know how to don quirky shoes, amazing skirts and where-on-earth-did-you-get-those accessories.

Hats off to my Scottish girls though, as I would say they are some of the world’s best at effortlessly dressing up skinny jeans and despite (or perhaps because of) the weather, religiously maintaining their fake tanning regime! Yeah!

On to my World Catwalk ladies, starting with...
...the delightful Pamela, keeping things chic and weather-proof at the same time (trust me that's difficult). A quality to one’s outfit I never seem to pull off... In otherwise, I am too optimistic and regularly work the ‘drowned rat’ look when the rain starts.
In keeping with the weather, Pam has donned a wonderful orange scarf which not only provides a beautiful contrast to her blue jeans and amazeballs hair, but also a lovely splash of colour to an otherwise dreary day in Glasgow! And I have to confess to being just a little bit taken with her wonderful trench. I never heed the fashion gurus who seem to perennially advise us of the must-buy trench coat, and that, in short is why I will never look as stylish as Pam on a rainy day in Scotland. Applause please.




Third to the grey stone stage is lovely Lucy in an outfit with so many injections of personality, it’s almost (but certainly not) overdosing.
I’ve always conducted a secret love affair with Lucy’s beautiful quirky accessories. Rings, necklaces and a cute black beaded bracelet, are, together with bright red flowers in her hair (and matching red nails), what transform this outfit from everyday grunge to head-turning individualist.


And I don’t think I raved about the bird print bag yet. Lucy, if you’re reading this – I WANT YOUR BAG!

Oh, and while I’m at it, those BOOTS! Little details like muted gold studs really appeal to my inner emo, plus they give Lucy’s camouflage a biker edge, which is Just. Too. Cool. Oh stop it, I’m gushing now.



Last on my World Catwalk is Nikki, wearing a simple shirt/jeans combo with a lovely print-patterned scarf which she told me was just a little something she picked up in Primark. After collecting my jaw from the floor, I admired Nic’s ability to add one casual, and not the least bit expensive item, and make it look a million quid. I also like the idea of lifting stony shades of grey and blue with the freshness of white and green (in her lovely scarf), for an elegant day look. Well-fitting jeans, minimal accessories and no fussy frills are key in what is a straightforward, easy-on-the-eye outfit, and I’d imagine a quick swap for a metallic scarf and killer heels could easily transform this look for dinner. Perfection!




What do you think of my lovely Scottish street styles? Do you have any tips on accessorising? And if you can recommend a good blazer / trench coat / bag / scarf… let me know your latest finds!

Love from Scottish Dolly x

Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...