16 November 2012

Friday Favourite – Bourjois Foundation


In the second of my Friday Favourites, the item in question is my foundation, which is, singlehandedly, the most commented-on part of my makeup regime.

I often flick through magazines, marveling at the brilliant Photoshopping job done by all those art directors, wondering if that ‘all-natural’ model really does look that bloody brilliant when she nips out for her aubergines. Well? Does she?!?!
Chances are, like most of us, a bit of prepping when it comes to your skin can make the world of difference and can let you off with skimping on other makeup essentials when you’re feeling lazy… or popping out for those aubergines…

When it comes to working on an aeroplane, the first thing to go is your waistline as we all bloat up in the pressurised cabin (ever been horrified by your own ankles after a 7 hour trip?) and the second, well, that’s your skin which is under attack from what feels like about a million little air conditioning vents all around the place, steadily dehydrating your body’s largest organ.
That’s why when people at the end of a 10 hour flying marathon regularly say, “How does your skin look that good at ridiculous-o’clock in the morning?” accompanied with genuinely shocked expressions, you know you’re onto a winner.



I started using the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation over 2 years ago, and for the last six months or so, have been indulging in the Healthy Mix Gel Foundation. The gel sounds posh, but I don’t really notice too much difference to be honest. Perhaps, if pushed to comment, I might say the Healthy Mix Gel is slightly more moisturising than its predecessor (which is still on the market). That’s why this is pretty much a review for both products.
I’ve seen and read a lot of reviews on the foundation, and the newer Gel Foundation which I’m currently using after finding it on a buy two get one free in Boots. I’m not going to touch on anyone else’s reviews of the product though, because quite frankly, I LOVE THIS PRODUCT. SO. SO. MUCH.

So much so that I bulk buy the stuff. I cram my cupboards full of it, for fear Bourjois might do what all brands seem to and discontinue the one product you lean on as your cosmetic crutch…
And why do I love it so? Why do I lean on it, and claim it as my desert island makeup essential?

Here’s why:
  • It takes exactly 1 minute to apply.
  • It doesn’t feel heavy or pore-cloggingly suffocating if you want to wear it all day.
  • You can blend it in the dark if you get the shade right.
  • It doesn’t cake, crease or settle in fine lines.
  • It smells nice and apricot-y.
  • Your skin will glow as if you’ve just been for a brisk walk in the fresh air (even though, in my case, I’ve just been stuck in a metal tube at 35000 feet for the last 7-12 hours).
  • It lasts… and lasts… and lasts, no need to top up throughout the day! Yay!
  • One bottle when used (almost) every day will see you through a couple of months as you only need a tiny touch.
  • This is a liquid foundation, but powder blush and bronzer sit well on top.
  • I rarely feel the need to use concealer. This covers spots, dark circles and blemishes with just a quick sweep of your finger.



Now, as with any fair review, one needs to ask, following the pros, what about the cons? What is wrong with Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation?
And that’s where I struggle.
Is it too expensive? No.
Does it dry my skin out? No.
Is it badly packaged with some annoying pump that doesn’t let you finish off the last drop? Not particularly.

Is it my absolute favourite foundation, beating all the expensive brands I’ve tried including MAC, Bobbi Brown, Chanel and Clinique? Yes.
And all for just under a tenner. Can’t see what’s wrong with that…

Tell me your tales of foundation success and failure – and I’d love to hear your views on Bourjois’ Healthy Mix – did you like it as much as I did?

Love from fakin’ it in foundation Dolly x



Leave your comment

Post a Comment

Get in touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...